(What is the sound of one goat laughing?)
After a day seemingly filled with setbacks and aggravation, a best friend (who had to listen to my griping) suggested that I would do well to remember all of my blessings. She suggested I take the time this evening to write down all the things I am thankful for … and in doing so, I would forget the days woes and fall asleep with a smile on my face.
Please indulge me while I share a bit of the beauty that makes the ugliness seem ridiculous by comparison …
I am eternally grateful for :
* my husband’s unwavering love, devotion, and admiration for me and our son.
* parents who love me BIG. And who love my son even BIGGER.
* the love and wisdom that my brother is finding within himself.
* my camera.
* Dave Matthews.
* the lovely young woman I met at Borders — who shared her adoption story with me — and reminded me that Isaac’s adoption is not something he needs to overcome — but rather something that he will celebrate.
* my small, sweet farm and all its inhabitants.
* Walt Disney World.
* true friends — who help you to be your best self.
* witnessing everyday acts of kindness all around me.
* the ocean.
* this blog — and all the joy it has brought to my life — especially the friendships.
* art. Expressing myself through it — and enjoying the artistic expressions of others.
* sharing wonderful picture books with my son.
* the feeling I get when I dive into a body of water. Only kisses from my son and husband could feel better.
* finding unexpected vintage goodies at thrift stores.
* the woman who gave birth to my son.
* novels filled with wonder and fantasy.
* the cool breezes of a late summers evening.
* and oh so very much more … random smiles from strangers, elephants, vibrant colored paints, eyesight, the smell of patchouli, my husband’s humor, trampoline jumping with Cousin Ange, museums of every kind, trees, baby bums … and on and on …
Yes, some situations suck. Some days are better than others. But LIFE is oh so good. And the good absolutely outweighs the bad. My son and husband alone are enough to brighten any day. I just sometimes forget that.
What about you? What brightens your day? What are you thankful for?